Monday 19 July 2010

Academies - am I right to be worried?

I'll be honest and admit that I'm not sure about academies. I have a few worries.

One is about how it is being rushed through. I suspect the media are playing a but of a political game with this, but there is no doubt that this is being rushed for September. I'm slightly curious as to what the big rush is.

I'm also concerned for my local area (where I live, more than where I teach). We have 3 schools in town. 2 are officially outstanding, and well established. The third is offically satisfactory, with good featrues, and improving, as well as relatively new. It was also inspected quite early under the new framework, when they were being tougher.

It's the third school I'm worried for. It's the one my daughters ought to go to, asI'd like them to go to the most local school. If the other 2 become academies, and they do not, it is not going to do their reputation any good, and so they will continue to be the third choice for many in town.

With both these point in mind I sent a tweet to my local MP - I also RT'ed it under ukedchat, you may have seen it. I actually got a reply, which I'm impressed by, but am not sure where to go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment