Saturday 6 March 2010

keepmehere or movemeon?

I love the #movemeon book. I can't use all the ideas - but as the last tweet says, one thing at a time.

I've also enjoyed the #keepmehere tweets, although I'm alarmed at the number of tweets that I've heard people in school say in all seriousness. In addition to this I was lurking around a lot of #edread tweets on World Book Day. Here's a #keepmehere I read...


#keepmehere reading your book in class while the children are working reinforces how to read well.
(From @mister_jim)


But then, a bit later I read this ...

When having silent reading, read a book as well. Set an example and they'll follow. #edread
(from @daveterron)
I'm not a literacy expert, but this was advice I was given when last a Y7 tutor and we had a regular silent reading slot. What really made me think is that it is being quoted as a strategy here in two completely contradictory ways!

It's not really about reading. That is the example that I saw here, but who's to say what's definitely right, or definitely wrong in teaching. Maybe that's the trouble with twitter - your average tweet doesn't need the research to back it up.

Who's to say that my #movemeon contributions are any good? They work for me, and that's all I'm saying. Similarly with most of the keepmehere.

Just an observation...

(and thankyou to @mister_jim and @daveterron for letting me quote them).

2 comments:

  1. OK - I've just re-read the blog, and realised I've misinterpreted the first tweet. @mister_jim was suggesting reading a book while kids work, not while they read (and of course suggesting it very tongue in cheek).

    My final point about #movemeon being about "What works for us" still stands, however.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that one person's movemeon is another person's keepmehere - and it depends on the when, why, who etc! But enjoyed both hashtags as much as you!

    ReplyDelete