Sunday 28 November 2010

QR codes Phase 1

I was a little slow on the uptake with QR codes. I don't have a smart phone (yet), so was not at the cutting edge of having a clue what this was all about. Once I realised, I decided "that sounds fun, and useful, lets have a play".

I needed to be wary. Mobile devices are not banned in school, as such, but they are not allowed to be out at any stage, and certainly not in lessons. I agree completely with this policy; at the moment and on the whole the disruption they cause when visible outweighs the benefits. As and when we change the rules, I'll make sure I'm very involved in the details. That however is another issue.

I put together this poster.
For those of you without QR readers, I downloaded (for free) Quickmark, which seems to work well with my webcam. I put the posters in Y10 tutor rooms, in which students are unsupervised at lunchtime. I hoped they may read them during these times they were less likely to have their phones confiscated.

Apparently not. According to my bit.ly tracking there were not dozens of hits, unless the tracking doesn't fully work.

Phase two is to more legitimately engage parents throug the newsletter. Details to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment