Wednesday 6 January 2010

What do our student reports says about us?

An interesting thought - how often do we analyse what we write in reports?

Do we get stuck in ruts, with reports, and what does what we write say about us? I got the idea of putting my Y11 reports into Wordle.net from @coolcatteacher, from a retweet. I think I've found someone new to follow there (as often happens). I thought what the hell, I'll try it. One copy and past later, and here is the result. I have tried to scour the reports, and check there's nothing I shouldn't publish, and think I'm OK.
Wordle: Reports
What I don't yet know is what it tells me. I'm tempted to Wordle some of my teams reports - see if they tell me anything about them? Please comment - what do you think my reports say about me as a teacher??

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting idea.

    It's difficult to say what these individual words say about you as a teacher as each of these words is taken out of context(s). One thing I noticed was that some of your students' names as quite larger than others, while some are so small that I can hardly see them. I believe my reports would show similar size differences of my own students' names. It's impossible to tell if the big names are your best or your worst (again context). I think the fact that "needs" is your second-largest word says good things about you if you are discussing your students' needs--or was it used mostly as in "so-and-so 'needs' to do such-and-such?"

    I think a better question here, since you know the context, is what do YOU think it says about your reports and you as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete